Sorry - image missing

← Go backSee all images

GSSR IMAGES

San Torcuato sugar factory, Guadix.

This huge sugar factory was founded on 16th July 1901 as 'San Torcuato S.A.' to convert sugar beet into refined sugar but in 1904 the company closed and the factory was integrated into the 'Sociedad General Azucarera de España' and in 1915 it closed blaming national overproduction. It was used in The Civil War as barracks.

For a while it was a serious competitor to Caniles and consequently to The GSSR as most of the product went to Almería.